formerly Fremantle Harbour Trust, Port Authority
The first Harbour Trust for Fremantle was appointed in 7 January 1903, with Robert Laurie, MLC (chair); AG Leeds, C Hudson, A Sandover and T Coombe. The Secretary was FWB Stevens: he had been associated with the harbour scheme as secretary to CY O' Connor. Hitchcock: 80.
From 1904 it was housed in a building 'in' Cliff St, more or less where the present building stands. Said building had formerly been O'Connor's offices on Arthur Head during the construction of the harbour.
In 1929 the commissioners were: T Carter (chairman), JHG Taylor, WHA Tanner, LL Bateman and PG McMahon, with FWB Stevens, secretary. Hitchcock: 80.
The port of Fremantle, as controlled by the board of Fremantle Harbour Trust Commissioners to-day , consists of the whole of the sheltered area of water lying between the mainland and Rottnest, Carnac and Garden Islands, and the reefs connecting these islands, and includes also the inner harbour basin within the estuary of the Swan River, at present extending up the river as far as the existing railway bridge. FWB Stevens, in Hitchcock: 142.
Dowson, John 2003, Old Fremantle: Photographs 1850-1950, UWAP.
Dowson, John 2011, Fremantle Port, Chart and Map Shop Fremantle.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Stevens, JWB 1929, The History of the Fremantle Harbour, A Romance in Port Building, in Hitchcock, qv.
Harbour Trust building
Fremantle Ports' website
Garry Gillard | New: 29 October, 2015 | Now: 29 August, 2017