1898, 282 South Terrace, cnr Charles St, temporarily called 'The Local'
These premises, which had been known as the Seaview Hotel for 117 years, had a name change on 1 September 2015. The new owners' website uses the words 'Classic Fremantle', but fails to mention the former name or any of the hotel's history. Many people will remember it as the regular Sunday gig for the Jam Tarts.
Photograph of a painting by Toby Leek, courtesy of the artist.
Seaview Hotel, 282 South Terrace, is a two storey rendered masonry and iron hotel building constructed in 1898 in the Federation Free Style of architecture. The building is located on a street corner with a truncated corner containing the front entrance. Both facades are situated on the boundary lines with footpath in front. The walls are rendered masonry with rendered moldings around the windows and expressed columns to both facades. The roof is corrugated iron and is located behind a parapet wall. The corner of the building has a gabled parapet element. There is a suspended awning wrapping around both facades. The windows to the lower level are large arched windows with rendered moldings around.
The Seaview Hotel was built in 1898 for Hughes and Day. It was listed in the rate book for that year as a hotel and 21 rooms. Thomas Norman was the first publican. In 1900, it was listed in the rate book as the 'Sea View Hotel'.
Thomas Norman continued to run the hotel until 1910/11, when the licence was transferred to his wife, Annie.
Frank Biddles owned the hotel from c. 1901 until the mid-1930s, when it was sold to the Swan Brewery Company. Irene Fitzgerald was the company's publican.
A Metropolitan Sewerage plan dated 1954 shows the Seaview Hotel as a large brick hotel built to the South Terrace and Charles Street boundaries, with verandahs on both elevations extending over the footpath. The hotel had a cellar, bathrooms attached to the rear of the northern wing, rear verandah to central courtyard and a detached garage accessed from Charles Street.
Extensions were carried out in 1973 for the Swan Brewery Company and further additions and alterations made in the early 1980s. By this time, the 'Seaview Tavern' was owned by Cygnet Investments.
Over the years, the Seaview has been an important part of South Fremantle's social and urban fabric.
This place was included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - PURPLE - of architectural and historic significance in its own right.
The Seaview Hotel has been an important part of South Fremantle’s social and urban fabric since 1898. It has social value to local workers and residents as a gathering place and landmark. The place has aesthetic value for its contribution to the streetscape and the surrounding area. The place is a good example of the Federation Free style of architecture. Heritage Council
The Local Hotel website
Garry Gillard | New: 20 September, 2014 | Now: 4 October, 2018