1897, aka Newport Hotel, 2 South Terrace, on the corner with Market St
History. Opened in 1897 as the Newcastle Hotel, with Martin Murphy as the hotel keeper, owned by David Connor. Architects Cavanagh and Cavanagh carried out alterations and additions in brick and stone in 1906, including the two storey verandah. Alterations to floor plan in 1946, 1967 and 1971, the latter including covering the courtyard.
The name was changed from the Newcastle Club Hotel to the Newport in c1986 after renovations. Again renovated in 2001/02.
Currently the Newport Hotel.
Two storey prominent corner hotel adjoining 62 Market Street, has a zero setback from the pavement. The façade is rendered and painted brick, the sides are stone. A zincalume hipped roof has four chimneys with corbelling and is fronted by a parapet. The decorative parapet has a balustrade with 'Newcastle Club Hotel Est. 1897' appearing in the central decorative pediment. The verandahs have a Colorbond bull nosed roof supported by metal posts with cast iron balustrade on the first floor and posts with cast iron fringe on the ground floor (not original). There are stained glass leadlight transom windows above the entrances on the ground floor.
Significance. The place is historically significant as a hotel dating from the gold boom period in Fremantle and still operating for its original purpose. The place is a fine example of a Federation Filigree style building, with elaborate stucco decoration that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape. Heritage Council.
Garry Gillard | New: 19 September, 2014 | Now: 1 December, 2017