6 High St, 1898
Thanks to the Fremantle Library for the 1900 photo #1028, with this caption:
The Hotel Fremantle was erected in 1898 to designs by Wilkinson and Smith. The rooms were large, the dining room could seat one hundred guests and the billiard room on the ground floor with attached private bar measured 55 by 40 feet. Construction was of brick with stone cladding. The facade is classified by the National Trust but the pointed turret no longer exists. Tannatt Chambers, 8 High Street, can be seen next on the right. It was designed by architect E H Dean Smith and built in 1899.
Hotel Fremantle, 6 High St, corner of Cliff St, lacking its corner turret and flagpole, like the P&O Hotel. This was designed by Wilkinson & Smith, and built in 1898-99 for Bacon Forrest Co., and a renovated version was the Kiwi headquarters for the Americas Cup defence in 1987. 'At that time application of a heavy surface coating masked the texture of the limestone and detail of the stucco mouldings'. (Hutchison: 100) A residence at the rear had been built for WD Moore in 1885. During WW2 it was set up as a hospital and operating theatre. It is now part of the NDU.
Members of the family of George Fletcher Moore lived on the site of our hotel. ... Their home is still there; it nestles in the back of the old shape of the Fremantle Hotel. The Donnybrook stone building you see there today was added in the 1890s. (Smith 1999: 92)
According to Allen Graham, the hotel was opened on 1 October 1898.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, Fremantle Arts Centre Press.
Smith, Alec 1999, 'Living in the Fremantle Hotel', Fremantle Studies, 1: 92-110.
Smith, Alec 2004, 'The boy from the West End', in Karen Lang & Jan Newman, Wharf Rats and Other Stories: 100 Years of Growing up in Fremantle, FPS: 110-119.
Photograph of a painting by Toby Leek, courtesy of the artist >
Garry Gillard | New: 18 September, 2014 | Now: 1 October, 2018