Fremantle Stuff > hospitals > St Helens/Illawarra
St Helens Hospital was at 33 Moss Street, East Fremantle. The building was designed by John McNeece and built by F.W. Spurr for John Wesley Bateman (1852-1907) and his wife Mary. Tho at first called Sydenham, it was better known as The Lodge. After the Batemans, 1909-1917, it was used 1922-1923 as Illawarra Private Hospital, after which it was a private house for Richard James Bates, with Rhoda, Len, and Eric, and then became again a private hospital, as St Helen's, 1929-1959. It was a training hospital for nurses 1959-1962, and then a geriatric rehab centre, now managed by the WA Health Dept. Vacant since 2015, it was reopened August 2020 as a mental health transitional facility to replace Hampton House, and so with that name.
The matron of Illawarra Private Hospital 1922-23 was Mrs Carlton. Nurse Stradwick was in charge of St Helens Hospital 1929-32, Sr Isabel Walter 1933-44, and Sisters Lila Kidston-Hunter and Phyllis McKim 1945-49.
The Lodge is a single storey tuck pointed and tiled building with front and side verandahs together with brick and iron stables and separate accommodation over at the rear. It is a very fine expression of the Federation Queen Anne style.
Charlesworth, Helene 1997, Small but Strong: a Pictorial History of the Town of East Fremantle 1897-1997, Town of East Fremantle: 30-31.
Garrick, Phyl & Chris Jeffery1987, Fremantle Hospital: A Social History to 1987, Fremantle Hospital.
Lee, Jack 1979, This is East Fremantle (The story of a town and its people), East Fremantle Town Council.
Woodside Facebook page.
Streets of East Freo page for this building, from which most of the above data come.
Garry Gillard | New: 29 November, 2014 | Now: 7 August, 2020