Fremantle Stuff > Hospitals
Barracks, South Terrace
Pensioner Barracks, South Terrace. Built c1850s  and occupied by the enrolled pensioner force. During 1914-1918 war, used as the No. 8 General Australian Hospital. Later Immigrants Home, demolished 1950s. Stan Reilly Frail aged Lodge now on site, completed 1976, but empty and to be demolished. (from caption for FHC photo #522A)
Braemar House, 10 Windsor Road, East Fremantle; not a hospital, but an aged-care facility. This was the site of the house of Mr Gracie, manager of the Castlemaine Brewery on Riverside Drive (now Road) East Fremantle, but none [?] of that building remains. (Lee: 147) It has been a home for the aged since 1950. (Lee: 109)
Fiona Stanley Hospital, Murdoch Drive
Fremantle Hospital, South Terrace, Alma St, Hampton St
The Knowle, residence built for Lt-Col. Sir Edmund Henderson, Comptroller-General of Convicts 1850-63; the origin of Fremantle Hospital and still part thereof. After Henderson returned to England in 1867 it became an invalid depot for convicts, then in 1891 for colonial lunatics, and in 1895 a public hospital. (Hutchison: 184)
High St Casualty Ward, Lot 423, now 71 High St, run by druggist Richard Birch 1882-1888
Another Casualty Ward, 'near the waterfront and railway yards and close by the tunnel which had been gouged from cliffs under the Round House in whaling days'. Garrick & Jeffery: 39.
Hillcrest House was built in Harvest Road North Fremantle by Francis Pearse, and donated to the Salvation Army in the 1920s as a maternity hospital. It was a haven for unmarried mothers and their children who were adopted. It is now Regis North Fremantle Aged Care Facility.
Kaleeyah, Staton & Wolseley Rds East Fremantle, closed end 2014 and sold to Southern Cross Care (WA) Inc, which plans to use it as an aged care service and health facility.
Skye Private Hospital, 13 Stevens St (now new housing)
St Helen's/East Fremantle Annexe, 33 Moss St East Fremantle; now the Moss Street Centre geriatric outpatient assessment and rehabilitation services, was built in 1912 as a home for John Bateman (not the first John Bateman). After the Batemans it was inhabited by the Bateses, and then used as a hospital from 1920.
St John of God Murdoch, Murdoch Drive
Woodside, 18 Dalgety St East Fremantle, was closed as a (maternity) hospital in 2014, and will continue as an aged care facility. This was the home of the Moore family, and that building substantially remains. (Lee: 147)
Garrick, Phyl & Chris Jeffery1987, Fremantle Hospital: A Social History to 1987, Fremantle Hospital.
Lee, Jack 1979, This is East Fremantle (The story of a town and its people), East Fremantle Town Council.
Garry Gillard | New: 29 November, 2014 | Now: 13 October, 2016