Fremantle Stuff > East Fremantle > historical photos
East Fremantle Town Hall and Plympton Post Office
A four horse dray stands in Canning Highway in front of the Plympton Post Office (name changed to East Fremantle in 1899); which opened on 14.03.1898. The first Post Master, J. Adams, was appointed in March 1898.
Next to the left is the Police Station, Quarters and Lock up. The Fire Station was a shed next to the Police Station. In the centre is the East Fremantle Town Hall. The architect for this building was Joseph F. Allen and the foundation stone was laid by Sir John Forrest in 1899.
Photograph 707 from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection. Date c. 1906. Text from the Library entry. Signage on the former post office indicates that it's an antique shop, but it seems to be closed. The corner with Stirling Highway is now immediately after that building.
East Fremantle Town Hall and St Peter's Church
Canning Highway, 1954
East Fremantle Town Hall decorated for the visit of Queen Elizabeth. Next to the left is St Peter's Church of England on the corner of Duke Street.The adjacent building was erected in 1908 for Dr A T White and later used as a presbytery for Roman Catholic Clergy. The ornate residence had attractive figures modelled by A Burvill.
Photograph 2411 from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection, date 1954. Text from the Library entry.
Duke St used to meet Canning Hwy between the Town Hall and the church. The short street now there is called Council Place, as Duke St was altered by the Stirling Hwy southern extension. The whole block between Duke and Silas Sts, including the church, presbytery and Richmond Shopping Centre (formerly the Richmond Theatre) is now (2015) the site of the construction of a large residential/commercial complex called Richmond Quarter.
St Peter's Church of England, which was on the corner of Duke St when that used to come up to Canning Highway. The hotel in the distance is the Royal George, on the corner of George St. The street seen in the photo has since been transected by the Stirling Highway southern extension to High St.
Plympton Post Office and the East Fremantle Presbyterian Church
The building on the left is the East Fremantle Post Office, opened on 14.03.1898 as the Plympton Post Office but renamed East Fremantle in 1899. The first Post Master was J. Adams. On the opposite corner of Canning Highway and King Street was the East Fremantle Presbyterian Church. The foundation stone was laid on 27.07.1898 by the Reverend Dr. D.S. Duff of Glasgow. The building was opened for divine worship on Sunday 18.09.1898.
The area of Plympton is on the right.
From a postcard published by A.J. Ratcliffe, 75 Barrack Street, Perth.
Photograph 881 from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection. Date 1905-1920. Text from the Library entry. Where the church was is now the middle of Stirling Highway. The post office still stands, right at the corner of that and Canning Highway.
East Fremantle Presbyterian Church
Corner of King St and Canning Road (Highway)
The foundation stone for the East Fremantle Presbyterian Church was laid on 27.07.1898 by the Reverend Dr D S Duff of Glasgow. The church closed 24.06.1963 and was demolished for the Stirling Bridge.
Photograph 1213A from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection. Date c. 1910. Text from the Library entry.
Canning Road in East Fremantle was not named after the English statesman George Canning who was Foreign Secretary in the 1800s, but after the surveyor Alfred Canning. After 1937 the road was called Canning Highway.
Photograph 607D from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection, n.d. Text from the Library entry.
Canning Road near East Street
Canning Highway was originally known as Canning Road; the name changed in 1937. The shop on the corner of East Street was originally Frank McDonald's store. He was a Councillor for East Fremantle 1897-1900 and Mayor 1900-1903. After 1904 he became a farmer at Beverley. The Zebra shoe polish sign is on M H Woodhouse's shop. Beyond McDonald's store is Glanville's Buildings (on the north [left] side of the road).
Photograph 1213B from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection, c. 1910. Text from the Library entry.
Later the Royal George. Corner of George and Duke Streets.
The Royal Hotel, in East Fremantle, was built by J. Vetter (Ellen St, Fremantle) at a cost of £5200 for the Mulcahy Brothers. It was opened 12.10.1903 with Joe Tippett as Licensee. Later the association with George Street and the flagship Royal George led to the change in name to the Royal George.
Photograph 912 from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection, c. 1906. Text from the Library entry.
Marmion St looking west from Duke St, 1905
Marmion Street showing wooden houses and limestone road. Plympton School is on the extreme left edge. In the centre, on the corner of King Street, is M.J. France, Grocer.
Photograph 813A from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection, date September 1905. Text from the Library entry. Plympton School became the East Fremantle Primary School (tho technically not in East Fremantle, being south of Marmion St). The grocer's store building is extant. Duke St now no longer quite reaches Marmion St. In the area to the left, Amherst and Chalmers Sts have yet to be constructed.
Riverside Drive (now Road) 1911-12
Photo taken from the corner of East Street, with Castlemaine Brewery (built before 1898) in the centre. The bottling works are to the right. On the left is the Swan Yacht Club.
Photograph 1214 from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection, date 1911/12. Text from the Library entry. In fact, the original Castlemaine Brewery is the building on the right, and is so signed. The large building was built as the Phoenix Brewery, tho it operated as such only 1902-1904, before being taken over by HW Sleigh's company, and renamed. The original Castlemaine Brewery would have become the bottling works at that time. See the page for the Castlemaine Brewery for a more informative photo.
Woodside (East Fremantle) Baptist Church
Corner Canning Road and Fortescue Street
The East Fremantle Baptist Church was consecrated in March 1921.
Photograph 1966 from the Fremantle City Library Local History Photographic Collection, date not stated. Text from the Library entry.
Richmond Theatre (cinema)
My photos of the riverside of present-day East Fremantle
Garry Gillard | New: 29 March, 2015 | Now: 15 November, 2018