Cnr Sheedy St and South Tce (then Mandurah Rd), 1898
A front view of the Wesley Church in South Terrace. It was designed by architect W T Thorne and the foundation stone laid by Reverend G E Wheatley on 26.09.1898. Taken May 1980 by Betty McGeever. Fremantle History Centre photo #1290B and text.
This was one block from the corner of the Mandurah Road (now South Terrace) and By-the-Sea Road, which was renamed Jenkin St in 1909-10 for Rev. J.H. Jenkin of the South Fremantle Wesley (Methodist) Church. The building was severely damaged in a storm in 1981 and demolished in October 1981.
The site is now occupied by modern shops at 255/257 South Terrace.
The "temporary" rear wall of the Wesley Church in South Terrace. The Church, built in 1898, was constructed with a "temporary" rear wall to allow for an anticipated huge increase in membership which never eventuated. This wall was extensively damaged by a storm in June 1981 and the Church had to be demolished. Taken May 1980 by Betty McGeever. Fremantle Library photo #129 and text.
The foundation stone of this church was laid by Reverend G E Wheatley on 26.09.1898. The architect was W T Thorne. The church was extensively damaged by gales in June 1981 and demolished late October. Taken May 1980 by Betty McGeever. Fremantle History Centre photo #1290A and text.
Garry Gillard | New: 2 September, 2015 | Now: 7 October, 2018