The first church building on the corner of Market and Cantonment Streets was on land allocated by the Government to a Wesleyan community led by the Rev John Smithies, who had arrived in the Colony in 1840. The chapel was opened the next year. The building was replaced by the present building in 1889. It is used for services 0930 Sundays.
The Battye Library's photo shows the Wesley Hall which incorporated the 1841 chapel, and, even further to the right, the Wesleyan manse of 1893.
Wesley Hall, incorporating the 1841 Chapel, from "A century in Methodism in Western Australia 1830-1930". Governor Hutt laid the Foundation stone in September 1840 and the Chapel was extended in 1882. Wesley Church was completed in December 1889. The stone wall surround was removed in 1928. Taken before 1928. Text and photograph #1635 from Fremantle History Centre.
The 1841 Chapel was the first Christian church in Fremantle: see Rowan Strong, 'Religious lives in Fremantle', in Paul Arthur Longley & Geoffrey Bolton 2012, Voices from the West End: Stories, People and Events that Shaped Fremantle, WA Museum: 64-85. The existing church is to be seen on the left of the photo.
Jenkins, Charles A. 1930, A Century in Methodism in Western Australia 1830-1930, Patersons Printing Press, Perth.
Strong, Rowan 2012, 'Religious lives in Fremantle', in Paul Arthur Longley & Geoffrey Bolton, Voices from the West End: Stories, People and Events that Shaped Fremantle, WA Museum: 64-85.
Garry Gillard | New: 24 September, 2014 | Now: 15 September, 2017