Cnr William & Henderson Streets, 1898-1971
Corner of William and Henderson Streets. The Salvation Army Citadel was built in 1898, (Foundation stone laid by General Booth). According to Kerr, it was destroyed by fire in 1969 and demolished in September/October 1971. The site is now occupied by the Henderson Street parking station. Two storey Warders Quarters in Henderson Street, built 1898, demolished for the parking station in September 1971. Note rear of Crane House, a six storey office complex in High Street opened 30.01.1970. Text and 1971 photo #183 from the Fremantle History Centre.
The Salvation Army Citadel was built in 1898 and gutted by fire in 1969. It was demolished in September 1971 to make way for the Henderson Street carpark and the Queensgate shopping complex. Text and 1971 photo #3086 from the Fremantle History Centre; title: Demolition of the Salvation Army Citadel.
This photo of William St in March 1971 was posted by the Fremantle Library in Facebook in 2014 without attribution. It shows the facade of the Citadel on the extreme right (the interior had been destroyed by fire, and the building was about to be demolished) with the Burns Philp store in the centre of the photo.
Garry Gillard | New: 8 June, 2015 | Now: 5 October, 2018