1 Johannah St, North Fremantle, 1892, now APACE
Winter House was restored by the Fremantle Society in 1982, as shown in these pages from the Newsletter, vol. 10, no. 4 pp. 4-5.
Johannah Street was slow to develop as a residential street. It provided access to Prawn Bay from the nineteenth century until bridge works for the Stirling Highway Bridge in 1974 realigned this section of the foreshore, bringing the river closer to the end of Johannah Street and removing Point Brown, which had formerly been the tip of Prawn Bay. The east side of Johannah Street developed into North Fremantle Oval. Residential development began in 1892 on the west side of the street, with two cottages constructed in that year. However, by 1913 there were still only three houses along the street. A large block on the corner with John Street was used until at least the 1940s as a market garden.
Winter House was constructed in 1892 as a four-room stone cottage. Carl Miller owned the land and occupied the new house, which had a prominent location at the end of Johannah Street, overlooking the Swan River. From 1945 to 1976 the place was occupied by Frederick C.B. Winter, who also took ownership of the place from 1955. In 1976 the property was transferred to the Metropolitan Region Planning Authority. By 1978, it was vacant and derelict, although it retained its original verandah along the length of the south and east elevations, and there was community concern as to its future. The place was offered to community groups for their use, on the condition that they restore it, but despite a number of groups expressing interest, no action was taken. A 1979 photograph shows that the original verandahs had been removed and a section of the south wall in the rear room had collapsed. In May 1979, the Council erected a security fence to deter vandals.
The Fremantle Society subsequently took on the task of restoring Winter House, funded by Fremantle City Council. Local businesses donated much of the required materials, and the project was completed in 1982 at a cost of about $28 000. Restoration works included installing a replacement verandah to the east elevation, and the addition of a toilet block abutting the rear (west) of the original four-room cottage. The place has had various community uses since its restoration, including an after-school care facility and office space for a job creation scheme.
The gardens in which Winter House is now located were established from the mid-1980s by Apace, a Fremantle-based community group, active from 1982, which aimed to promote local community development initiatives. Apace used Winter House as offices and developed the gardens as part of a job creation scheme.
This place was included in the 'North Fremantle Heritage Study' (1994) as a place contributing to the development and heritage of North Fremantle. It was also included in the list of heritage places in the City of Fremantle identified by the Fremantle Society (1979/80) - BROWN - significant for making a positive contribution to the built environment of Fremantle.
Single storey stone and iron cottage with symmetrical facade.
Walls are limestone with red face brick quoins and reveals. The two chimneys are red face brick with simple corbelled course.
Roof is hipped corrugated iron with no eaves. Verandah is under a separate concave corrugated iron roof. Verandah is supported by simple timber posts.
Front elevation has two timber sash windows and central front door.
Low timber picket fence to front. The cottage is part of a nursery / community garden.
The place has particular significance as the only remaining early house on Johanna Street. It has high social significance demonstrated by the restoration of the place in the early-1980s by the Fremantle Society and the subsequent development of the gardens by APACE, a local community group. Heritage Council
Garry Gillard | New: 12 March, 2016 | Now: 13 May, 2016