Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Victoria Pavilion
Architect: F.W. Burwell. Builder: Blackman Bros. The oval was known as the Barracks Green and used as a parade ground by the Pensioner Guards of the Convict Establishment and, later, for drill by the local Rifle Volunteer Unit. In 1895 it became Fremantle Oval, and was principally used for Australian Rules football and cricket. In that year, it was the venue, for the first time, for a football match. It is the headquarters of the South Fremantle Football Club, one of the teams in the state competition, and was the headquarters of the Fremantle Dockers, a team in the national competition - before they moved to Cockburn. The architect, Burwell, had his design accepted after he won a prize in a competition for the design of a pavilion or grandstand. The grandstand was opened in 1897. Photo by David Hutchison.
Photo by Gruyere (cropped) from Wikipedia
Victoria Pavilion is a historic grandstand located on the western side of Fremantle Oval, in Fremantle, Western Australia. In January 1897 local architect F.W. Burwell won the competition held by the Fremantle Council for the design of a pavilion for Fremantle Oval. The foundation stone was laid on 25 June 1897 to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. Built by Blackman Brothers at a cost of £3650, the pavilion was officially opened by Premier John Forrest on 6 November 1897. The building is listed on the Register of the National Estate. Wikipedia.
The building was named for Victoria because it was her Diamond Jubilee (meaning that she had been monarch for 60 years) in 1897.
Australian Heritage Database entry
Garry Gillard | New: 7 May, 2016 | Now: 9 November, 2019