1 Elder Place, 1912
The building on the corner of Market and Phillimore Streets is a Pumping Station and (very closed) toilets. It may be seen as the first in Elder Place, as Phillimore St takes that name after the Market St intersection.
There may be machinery or whatever inside the building, but if it's not still needed for pumping it could be a tourist information centre (with functional toilets), as it's the first building visitors see when arriving by train, and one of the first if they come by ship and walk into town.
The pumping station in the afternoon sun, with a perhaps homeless man doing a word puzzle, and the Taylor Memorial Fountain in the right foreground. The Railway Station is in the background, behind the buses.
FHC photo#4116, 1913. Jack Lyons, sign writer and decorator, is painting the Pumping Station and public toilets in Market Street, near the Railway Station. The building was erected in 1912.
There are toilets on the eastern side, but they have been closed for a very long time.
Heritage Council description
Elder Place was originally named Bay St, derived from the street encircling Shoal Bay on the north of Willis/Ferry Point. The Council renamed a portion of the street Elder Place in 1926, after the company Elder, Smith & Co who had a warehouse in the street. The Water Board Pumping Station and Toilets were built in 1913.
Single storey rendered and terracotta tiled hipped roof with a decorative half timbered gable. The roof extends over the veranda on one and half sides and is supported by large masonry pillars. Within the veranda; 'W. S. D. 1913' appears in stucco above the main double door entrance.
Statement of Significance
The place has historic and aesthetic significance as a fine example of a small public building in the Federation Arts and Crafts style constructed as part of the water supply and deep sewerage systems service to Perth and Fremantle developed by the Government of Western Australia.
WSD over the main door: Water and Sewerage Dept, I guess. You can almost read the sign that says the toilets are closed - on the seriously barred gate on the right.
Heritage Council entry for the Pumping Station
Garry Gillard | New: 19 July, 2016 | Now: 4 January, 2018