Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Moores Building
42-46 Henry St
Moore's Building, 42-46 Henry St, was built by William Dalgety Moore. It is now an art gallery and coffee shop (called Moore & Moore). The facade is from about 1900. The City of Fremantle owned and restored the building 1986-7.
In 1868 William Dalgety Moore acquired lots 89 and 90 Henry Street from the beneficiaries of his father Samuel’s estate. The property, which had seen earlier occupancy, was a short distance from the port city’s shipping facilities which were then located at South Bay, or where the Esplanade Reserve is today. This was an ideal location for the entrepreneurial William whose general merchandising business grew and flourished along with the colony of Fremantle. The firm’s activities rapidly expanded to include the milling of flour, shipping and exporting pearl shell, timber, wool, and other interests throughout Western Australia. W.D. Moore was also an explorer and represented Fremantle in the Legislative Council. He became the inaugural treasurer of the Fremantle Town Council and the first president of the Fremantle Chamber of Commerce. Taylor: 3.
WD Moore & Co Warehouse complex is on Henry Street, Fremantle. It was unified in 1899 behind an ornamental stucco facade. A store was established on the site by Samuel Moore in the 1840s. William Dalgety Moore later established a general merchant business there in 1862. The complex comprises a residence, warehouse, factory stable, offices and shop, built between 1862 and 1899, in addition to a three storey backstore which was built at an unknown date, possibly as early as 1844. The complex was listed on the Register of the National Estate in 1978. Wikipedia.
Kent, Jack, Agnieshka Kiera & Jeremy Dawkins 1998, The Moore's Buildings: A Conservation Project, City of Fremantle.
Taylor, Robyn 1995, The Moores Project: Conservation of the The Moores Complex of Buildings, Architecture & Heritage Section, City of Fremantle.
Garry Gillard | New: 18 December, 2015 | Now: 19 June, 2016