Manning Buildings '135 High St' is the name of the current development proposal by Gerard O'Brien's Silverleaf.
Within the (High St) Manning Buildings a distinction may also be made between Manning Chambers, the section at 1-5 William St, and also the unnamed building at 7-11 William St which contains the Wrightson barbershop and two other shops, and is older than the rest of the Manning buildings.
Manning Buildings (High St) extend from William St (7-11 and 1-5), opposite the Town Hall, the length of the High St Mall, and around the corner into Market St (40-62). They contain, inter alia, the Majestic Theatre, and Barney Silbert's Corner. Gerard O'Brien's Silverleaf is currently (end 2017) planning to renovate the entire complex - including part of the Paddy Troy Mall at the rear - into a brewery, shops, and offices.
Photo of Manning Chambers, 1-5 William St, 1985, by Skip Watkins, courtesy of FHC #E000262: The Manning Chambers of 1-5 William Street, were built by the Manning family who emigrated to Australia in the 1830s and became the biggest landowners in Fremantle. The Manning buildings were built from 1902 to 1906 for a cost of £2,243, as an investment, by the trustees for the Manning Bros Estate. The National Trust assessment cites Cavanagh & Cavanagh as the main architects for the buildings with various builders for the different stages. The buildings house various retail and commercial uses. Part of a project funded by the City of Fremantle to photograph National Trust classified properties in Fremantle.
Fire brigade map, 1952, of the High St Manning buildings and vicinity.
Skip Watkins' 1985 photo of the South Terrace Manning Buildings, courtesy of the Fremantle History Centre.
See also: Charles Manning.
Silverleaf development proposal
Fremantle Society submission re the development proposal
Garry Gillard | New: 26 November, 2017 | Now: 4 January, 2018