Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Lost Buildings

Lost Buildings

This is a fairly random collection of lost buildings, but it is still a somewhat shocking discovery to note that of the sixteen I've listed, no fewer than six of the sites are now used merely for parking.

cliffpo

Cliff St Post Office, 1889-1967 - site has been a carpark behind the Sailors' Rest for many years, now used by NDU students. It was designed by J.J. Talbot Hobbs.

ivanhoe

Ivanhoe, 8 Ord St, near corner of High St, 1889-1966 - now townhouses

johnston

Johnston Memorial Congregational Church, Adelaide St, 1877-1968 - now Johnston Court flats

liebler

Liebler Building facade, aka Reckitt & Colman Building facade, 21-29 - only the facade remains; there is a carpark behind it, where the rest of the building used to be until it was demolished in 1967.

lodges

Lodge's Hotel, 1 Henry St, 1867-1958 - now an NDU carpark, having been demolished by the Workers Club

manning

Manning Hall, aka Manning's Folly, cnr Short & Pakenham Sts, 1858-1928 - now a building of many apartments

marmion

Marmion Cottage aka Government House, South Terrace, 1852-1939 - now Fremantle Hospital

mews

Mews Shipyard, Mews Rd, Arthur Head

oriana

Oriana Cinema, cnr High & Queen Sts, 1938-1972 - now shops

pier

Pier Hotel, Cliff St, 1873-1955 - site was an NDU carpark, now Tannock Hall, School of Education, NDU

prospect

Prospect House, Cnr Adelaide and Point Streets, 1886-1967 - now Ferrari Formalwear clothing hire shop

residency

The Residency, Arthur Head, 1856-1967 - now a car park

citadel

Salvation Army Citadel, cnr William & Henderson Sts, 1898 - 1971 - now Henderson St parking

villamaria

Villa Maria, Carl Ratazzi's house, Queen Victoria St - somewhere between Shacks and Officeworks

wesley

Wesley Hall and the 1841 Chapel, Cantonment St - now shops

samsonwfhouse

WF Samson house, cnr Cliff & High Sts, c1885-1955 - now an NDU carpark

See also: Tram Tour, new buildings.


Garry Gillard | New: 28 April, 2016 | Now: 11 October, 2016