Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Kerosene Store
Joan Campbell's gallery, 1980, photo Betty McGeever, FHC image #1288A
Photo by Skip Watkins, 1985, image #E000130 from the Fremantle History Centre. It shows the landward side of the building, and Joan Campbell's pottery kiln outside on the left.
The building currently known as the Kidogo Arthouse was built in 1884 on reclaimed land and was used to store dangerous goods away from other buildings. It is still known to some people as the Kerosene Store, but was also called the Dangerous Goods Store. Harbour and Lights Dept took it over and it was used a boat shed, among other things. It was threatened with demolition but was saved because potter Joan Campbell had taken the lease in 1975. It was extensively renovated in 1987. Joanna Robertson took it over in 1988, giving it a Swahili name (meaning 'small') because she had grown up in Tanzania.
Joan Campbell outside her former studio, exact date and source unknown (1987-1997)
2008 photo by Gareth Nicholson, image #E000820-31 from the Fremantle History Centre
Rie Heymans, John McPhee, Ted Snell 1984, Joan Campbell: Potter, Fremantle Arts Centre Press; ed. Lucille Hanley, photographs Roger Garwood.
Webb, David & David Warren 2005, Fremantle: Beyond the Round House, Longley, Fremantle: 12-13.
Garry Gillard | New: 17 June, 2015 | Now: 4 December, 2016