Fremantle Stuff > buildings > Hooper's building
49 High St, 1887
Number 49 High St stands on original Town Lot 106 (up to its western edge). In 1834 the Stag's Head Inn was on this Lot, perhaps not with a street frontage. Original town lots in this part of High St were each half of one block of the street. This building is sometimes discussed as if it were part of the Ajax Building, but it is a much earlier building than that.
'Hooper's building' still exists in 2019, currently as two small shops, one called Compendium, selling design materials, and the other trading as the David Giles Art Gallery. Probably none of the buildings shown in this 1887 or 1888 photograph between Hooper's building and the Town Hall still exists. To the left now stands the group known as the Ajax Building (1899, at 51-59 High St) and to the right is now the Union Stores building.
According to National Trust assessment documentation, the original town lot 106 ... was the site of the Stag's Head Inn from 1834. Extensive research by City of Fremantle Local History staff in 2013 shows that No 49 was built in 1887, and Nos 51-59 was built by 1899. No. 49 appears in the rate books as a new building in 1887 (originally No 69). It was for William Hooper, business, watchmaker, jeweller and optician. He had earlier established himself in the same line of business in Barrack Street in 1881. ... An early photograph (c. 1888, appearing in Dorothy Erickson's Gold and silversmithing in Western Australia, p 54 [part of which appears above] shows that Hooper’s business was in a stand-alone, two storey building with verandahs and balcony, with wrought iron Federation Filigree details. Heritage Council.
Frontage of Hooper's shop in Barrack St Perth, perhaps giving an idea of what his Fremantle shop might have looked like. >
Google Maps image of 49 High St c. 2015
Heritage Council of WA
Garry Gillard | New: 9 March, 2016 | Now: 8 November, 2019