Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Higham's
Higham's Buildings, 101 High, cnr Market St
Photo 1933 from SLWA.
Original Higham's store started in the 1850s by Mary Higham. Additions in 1890s and 1900s have resulted in the current appearance.
The Palladium Theatre used to be in the eastern end of the building complex.
The Higham Emporium in the 1890s. FHC image #1945: M Higham & Sons Great Half Yearly Sale
The date above the corner window is 1853, but that is the date of the establishment of the Highams' business, not of the building.
Mary Higham page on this site
Higham, Geoffrey J. 1994, A Most Industrious Tradeswoman : Mary Higham, Nineteenth Century Merchant of Fremantle, Gayton Squirrel Trust, Winthrop WA.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia, 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council: 104, 106.
NLA entry for Mary Higham bio
Wikipedia page for Mary Higham
Garry Gillard | New: 1 September, 2015 | Now: 19 September, 2016