Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Heard's boatshed
In 1844, William Heard and his second wife Eliza owned Fremantle town lots 55 and 56. Heard – a boat builder/sail maker – saw the riverside lots as the ideal location to ply his trade from a shed measuring 58 by 34 links (11.6 by 6.8 metres). (Burke, 2007.)
Lot 55 is now occupied by Notre Dame's building ND46: Health Sciences Research, designed by Marcus Collins. Lot 56 is an NDU carpark, but Lodge's Castle Hotel (later the Fremantle Club, then the Workers Club) stood there from c. 1860s.
Burke, Shane 2007, 'Fremantle's hidden history', Fremantle Studies, 5: 63-73.
Garry Gillard | New: 21 March, 2019 | Now: 21 March, 2019