Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Fowler building
Fowler's Warehouse, aka the Fremantle Furniture Factory, 1900, 38 Henry St. Fowler established at the site in 1854, then purchased adjoining land (through to Pakenham St) and built the current building between 1899 and 1900.
Photo from Battye's Cyclopedia, 1912-13.
Architect: F.W. Burwell. This is the most imposing building in this section of the street. D & J Fowler was one of the chief wholesale merchandise firms in the state when this site — which extends through to Pakenham Street — was redeveloped in 1900. The main frontage is in Henry Street; with a bold, massive stuccoed facade which features rusticated pillars with foliated capitals and panelled and moulded bases supporting the main entablature which incorporates moulded architraves, a frieze and cornice. The balustrade with piers and pedestals still bears the name of the ﬁrm. The large gateway — 5.5 metres wide — was designed to admit 2 loaded wagons. During the 1980s and 1990s it was occupied by the Fremantle Furniture Factory. 2005: NDUA School of Medicine. Hutchison.
Battye, J.S. 1912-13, The Cyclopedia of Western Australia, Cyclopedia Co., Perth.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks.
See also Henry Street.
Garry Gillard | New: 18 October, 2016 | Now: 7 February, 2019