Fremantle Stuff > buildings > Dock Buildings
13-15 Phillimore Street
Photo of a painting by Toby Leek, with the permission of the artist. The original pen painting (60cm x 40cm) is for sale for $850 in Artisan Gallery, High Street.
Dock Buildings, at 13-15 Phillimore St. Built for its architect, E.H. Deane Smith, in 1899. Frank Biddles owned it from 1903, then Sumpton and Sons 1934-50s. Brian Klopper designed two apartments in the upper floor. It's "... a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape." (City of Fremantle
Dock Buildings on the left - with Phillimore Chambers on the right, on the corner of Cliff Street.
City of Fremantle notes
Statement of Significance
The place is a fine example of a Federation Free Classical style building, with elaborate stucco decoration above the ground floor level, that makes a significant contribution to the streetscape.The place is of historic significance as an example of a commercial building in the Old Port City of Fremantle dating from the gold boom period in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century.
Built c. 1900 as Dock Buildings, occupied by various companies.
Currently (2002) commercial use (AGS World Transport).
Two storey painted brick and parapeted building, which has a zero setback from the street. The parapet has low pier balustrading and a decorative pediment where 'Dock Building' appears in stucco. The ground floor façade features a central arched entrance with decorative stucco over two doors (numbers 13 and 15). There are stucco architraves above the slightly arched fanlight windows and engaged pilasters to both floors.
Heritage Council of WA
Garry Gillard | New: 26 October, 2019 | Now: 8 November, 2019