Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Dalgety Bond Store
Dalgety's Warehouse and Bond Store, 1901, is the first building from the west in both Phillimore and High Streets (1 Phillimore becomes 2 High St). Elder Smith owned it from 1927 until Lionel Samson bought it in 1971. Then in 1983 it was sold, and was later converted into apartments.
Designed by J.J. Talbot Hobbs, the two storey building was originally part of what is [also] known as the Elders building (11 Cliff St [cnr Phillimore St]) on Lots 1 and 2. Dalgety and Co, which had its headquarters in London, came westwards in 1890. The company dealt mainly with passage of primary produce, in particular wool.
Lionel Samson and Son purchased the building in 1971, and used it as bond and liquor store until 1983 when part was used as a rug store and offices. Sold to consortium, Fremantle SBS Syndicate in 1996.
Currently (2002), residential apartments.
Two storey face brick and rendered façade with a parapet and prominent pediment, there are attached apartments through to 2 High Street. The building has a zero set back from the pavement and limestone foundations. The façade feature ashlar effect rendering and large arched multi paned windows with drive through entrance on the east side. The first floor has Flemish bond face brick and slightly arched rendered recesses, around multi paned windows. (Heritage Council)
Heritage Office entry
Garry Gillard | New: 18 June, 2016 | Now: 18 November, 2018