The Commissariat Buildings was one of the first places built using convict labour in the Swan River colony: construction began in 1852. The building was designed by James Manning and was constructed under the supervision of Captain Henderson, Royal Engineer and Comptroller-General of Convicts for Western Australia. It now houses part of the Western Australian Maritime Museum. Text and photograph (cropped) thanks to Gnangarra, Wikipedia.
The erection of the Convict Establishment was commenced in 1851. In that and the following years the Imperial Government carried out by prison labour a number of other works, among them being the Commissariat buildings in Cliff-street, the pensioners' barracks in South Terrace, the warders' quarters in Henderson Street, the Comptroller's residence, known as ”The Knowle” (now part of the hospital), the North Fremantle traffic bridge as originally constructed and numerous other works of public utility, including roads, streets and public buildings. With the exception of the old court-house,  which was demolished to make room for pilots' quarters, all those buildings and the North Fremantle bridge are still  standing, and are monuments to the stability of the work done by the convicts. ... The Commissariat buildings were erected in 1853, and after serving the purpose for which they were built in connection with the convict system they were used successively as post office, Customs house and the offices for the State Shipping Service. They are still in use to house minor governmental departments. Hitchcock 1929: 34-35, 39.
Crawford, Ian, Anne Delroy & Lynne Stevenson 1992, A History of the Commissariat, Fremantle 1851-1991, WA Museum.
Hitchcock, JK 1929, The History of Fremantle, The Front Gate of Australia 1829-1929, Fremantle City Council.
Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, Fremantle Arts Centre Press: 91-93.
Garry Gillard | New: 25 June, 2015 | Now: 10 October, 2016