Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > 10 Elder Place
1907, Horrocks & Wadham; recent tenants were Coda
Skip Watkins photo Fremantle Library #E000271, 1985.
Elder Place was originally named Bay St, derived from the street encircling Shoal Bay on the north of Willis/Ferry Point. The Council renamed a portion of the street Elder Place in 1926, after the company Elder, Smith & Co who had a warehouse in the street.
In 1906-1907 four cottages (Nos. 6-12) existed on Lot 230 Bay Street (now Elder Place). These cottages are shown clearly on photographs Nos. 546, 690 and 1882 held in the Local History Collection. Early in 1907 two of these cottages (Nos. 10 and 12) were demolished and replaced by an office and warehouse for Horrocks and Wadham, general merchants and manufacturers' agents. The opening of the railway station and post office in Market Street in 1907 prompted an increase in building activity in this area.
In May 1907 Fremantle Architect Joseph Allen (1869-1933) was commissioned by Smith [?]and Wadham to prepare plans for the erection of a warehouse and offices in Bay Street. Tenders were invited in June and by October the building had been completed by Mr C. Moore. Allen and Moore had worked together on the number of building projects in Fremantle including a factory and showrooms for Instone and Co, Essex Street (1906), and Strelitz Bros premises, Henry Street (1906). In addition to being general merchants Horrocks and Wadham were the West Australian representatives of the Australasian Jam Company Pty Ltd (the Melbourne factory of H. Jones Co-operative Ltd).
No.10 Elder Place is shown clearly on a Metropolitan Sewerage plan (No. 48) dated August 1916. Here it appears as a four-roomed brick/galvanised iron building, with the galvanized iron portion extending to the rear of the lot. Three of the rooms are divided internally by stone walls. Photographs No. 1862 and No. 1909 from the Local History collection show a partial view of the southern corner of the building. Horrocks and Wadham continue to occupy No. 10 until 1930/31. In 1931/32 H. Jones and Co. Pty Ltd (jam manufacturers) took over occupancy. From 1936-1941 Goldsvaig and Fidock (later I. Goldsvaig and Co Ltd) wool merchants were occupiers.
The building then remained vacant until 1944. From 1945 to 1946 it served as a Medical Aid Post. Fremantle Gas and Coke Co. then occupied No. 10 until 1956, when Bestway Carriers took over occupancy. A 1952 fire survey plan drawn by Mahlstedt's (Victoria) Pty Ltd gives a roof top view of the brick/galvanized iron building. Clearly the rear of the building has been modified between 1916 and 1952 (i.e. galvanized iron section shortened and rear brick room added). Unfortunately no council plans exist.
This place was identified in the "Heritage Report on: 19th century limestone walls and steps in Fremantle" prepared by Silvana Grassadonia, for the City of Fremantle, 1986.
Reginald Arthur Wadham was born in Adelaide. After completing his education at the Prince Alfred College, Adelaide he was articled to public accountant, and later was accountant to the Broken Hill Proprietary Mines at Broken Hill (BHP). In 1895 Mr Wadham arrived in WA and took up the position of sub-manager for Honey and Company, timber millers, Fremantle. Later he left Honey's to join Mr D. J. Goyder and Wadham. In 1901 he withdrew from this partnership and, with Charles J. Horrocks, established the firm of Horrocks and Wadham. Reginald Wadham died at this home in Canning Highway, East Fremantle in October 1930. He was survived by his wife Florence and two married daughters.
Charles John Armitage Horrocks died aged 80 years on 11/7/1957 in Peppermint Grove. He is buried in Karrakatta Cemetery, Roman Catholic Section HA 801.
Two storey rendered building with a parapet, and a zero setback from the pavement. The façade has engaged pilasters extending from the ground floor to the first floor on the corners of the building and under the large decorative central pediment.
Heritage Council entry
Garry Gillard | New: 17 June, 2016 | Now: 10 April, 2019