Fremantle Stuff > buildings > breweries. See also: hotels, publicans.
The earliest brewery that Tuckfield records dates from 1831. It was run by Lieutenant Bull on the Canning River. William Devenish started a brewery in 1835 in conjunction with his inn at Guildford.
James Stokes started the Albion brewery in 1836. He later renamed it the Stanley, and it was subsquently taken over by John Maxwell Ferguson and Mumme. These are the breweries that preceded the Emu Brewery, a distinctive art-deco building at the foot of Spring Street (the name of which indicates the reason for them being there). Tuckfield continues:
In 1838-9 our friend Edward Barron was advertising his brewery at Wattle Grove, but anything further about it is a historical secret. Then in 1841 the old Perth Hotel of 1830 was taken over as a brewery. In 1842 Henry Strickland started a brewery in St George's Terrace and a year later Anthony Curtis opened a brewery in Fremantle. (Tuckfield 1971: 73)
A major brewery close to Perth city, the Swan Brewery, was established at Point Lewis on Matilda Bay not far from Mount Eliza, on or near the site of previous buildings, one of many of which was a steam mill. After the mill failed, its building was used by the government to accommodate convicts. ( '... the Mount Eliza men slept in a nearby Steam Mill while constructing their new quarters'. Gibbs: 64)
Gibbs, Martin 2001, 'The archaeology of the convict system in Western Australia', Australasian Historical Archaeology, vol. 19: 60-72.
Oldman, Diane, 'Mt Eliza Convict Depot', on her Sappers and Miners website.
Tuckfield, Trevor 1971, 'Early colonial inns and taverns', Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 3: 65-82; Part 2, Early Days: Journal and proceeedings of the Royal Western Australian Historical Society, 7, 7: 98-106.
Garry Gillard | New: 26 June, 2018 | Now: 24 March, 2021