Fremantle Stuff > Buildings > Atlas Chambers
Atlas Chambers, 6-8 Cliff St, is between Phillimore Chambers, on the corner of Phillimore Street, and theFremantle Hotel, on the corner of High Street.
This building is of unusual design for this part of Fremantle, with its window awnings and a pair of tall pyramidal roofs. The awnings and roofs were tiled at one stage, possibly in place of shingles. This gave them a heavy appearance. The tiles have been replaced with corrugated iron. The site was owned by the Helpman family from 1855 to 1881. From 1880 to 1882 a printer, James Pearce, leased buildings on the site, and in c. 1882 W.F. Samson bought the property and used it as additional premises for Lionel Samson and Son. From 1901 it was let to Margaret Currie and a Miss Smith who ran a boarding house and restaurant there. The Samsons sold the property to the Municipal Tramways in 1903, which, thirty years later, became the Fremantle Municipal Tramways and Electric Light Board, which continued to own it until 1951. It was then acquired by Elder Smith and Company and leased to Robert Laurie and Company. It was sold back to Lionel Samson and Son in 1968. Hutchison: 101-102.
The name on the left hand side of the building, Abrugiato, is that of the family which established the Roma Restaurant in about 1940 in the Owston Building, around the corner in High Street. The restaurant is still trading.
class="hangingindent">Hutchison, David 2006, Fremantle Walks, Fremantle Arts Centre Press.
Garry Gillard | New: 27 December, 2018 | Now: 7 November, 2019