Fremantle Stuff > Banks > Commercial Bank
Commercial Bank, 1901, 20 High St
What follows is from the Heritage Council.
Rates records show that the property was originally held by the Habgoods. The lot was subdivided in 1883; one of the lots having a 5 roomed cottage, the other undeveloped. In 1884 the National Bank purchased the property from Mrs Habgood. But although from 1885 the site of this building was designated for a bank, it was not until 1902/03 that Harry James Higham was listed in the rate books as occupier of the Commercial Bank with four other offices listed in addition.
In 2002 the building was vacant, and has since been taken over for Notre Dame University.
Significant for associations with Fremantle businessman H.J. Higham. The place is of social significance as evidenced by its classification by the National Trust.
Two storey rendered building with a truncated corner adjoining 18 High Street, with a zero setback from the pavement. The ground floor has ashlar effect rendering and the first floor features quoining. The decorative parapet has engaged low piers above a bracketed cornice. The entrance across the truncated corner has a pair of glazed doors that are probably not original and the double hung sash windows are arched with stucco architraves on the first floor. Architect William Edward Robertson.
Garry Gillard | New: 29 August, 2015 | Now: 16 November, 2018