Fremantle Stuff > Arthur Head > Powerhouse
The powerhouse - from the end of the South Mole, 1913. Fishing boats are moored inside its protection as there was no harbour available for them until later.
From the northeastern (land) side, date unknown.
The City Council in 1990 published a folder containing a summary of the research Pam Harris mentions below, consisting of a page about each of the buildings on or near Arthur Head. This is one of them.
The Arthur Head Collection was a project coordinated by the City of Fremantle with funding from a grant available from the Federal Government to celebrate the Bicentennial year in 1988 [resulting in] a huge collection of materials in various formats including documents, reports, photographs, maps, bibliographies etc. to help research the site. ... Pam Harris, Librarian, Fremantle History Centre. May 2018.
The next two photos, from the Fremantle City Library Local History Collection, show stages in the building of the powerhouse in 1905.
Ths photograph at the top is the fourth (right) of four panels of a panorama of the Fremantle harbour taken by G. Sands, probably in November 1913. The collection is in the Fremantle City Library Local History Collection, images nos 1694 A-D.
The second photo is in the Battye Library collection at 006008PD.
The last two photos, from the Fremantle City Library Local History Collection, are numbers 824A and 813B.
Garry Gillard | New: 25 May, 2018 | Now: 14 December, 2019